Saturday, December 09, 2006

Colleague who doesnt work

It is an entire irony, when I say that I am doing too much, and working too hard, and not being able to enjoy life anymore, while I have a colleague who is not doing work.

I have lots and lots of complains about this colleague, but I am too lazy to list them one by one down specifically.

All I want to say is, how come he is not doing work? How come he is doing so little compared to CD whom he was supposed to take over? How come we have to spoon feed him with all the information and he still feels we owes him big time?

BigBoss (not the same person as BigBigBoss) asked me to ask CD to come back, so that he can ask this guy to go. But CD is asking for a very high pay as compared to what she used to be taking here, and apparently the boss doesnt want it.

But one way or the other, this guy would have to go. I feel a tad bad for him, but if he is not performing, and not showing that he is willing to work hard, there is nothing much chance the boss wants to keep him.

That brings me to another problem. I used to think it would be a good idea if CD comes back, because now I am not too sure.

I mean, she is a good gossip buddy, and she stands up for me, but sometimes she can be very overbearing. When she wants to talk to me, she will just go on and on without stopping, and she wont care if I am eyebrow deep in work or not.

If she wants to talk, and need a listening ear, I can lend her while I am busy working. But I am really unable to answer her each whims. And like yesterday, she, SS and myself were supposed to be having dinner at 7. They arranged between themselves and told me they would be meeting at 7.

They wanted me to join them promptly at 7, but I mentioned that if I have OT to do, I will try to finish it before joining them. Dinner at 7 is almost totally impossible for me.

She said that maybe I shouldnt, and I must join them for dinner first, and then return to office to do OT after that, and that was a command. I told her I am not going to do that if I can help it, because it feels like shit when your dinner companions are heading home after dinner but you are going back to work.

She was displeased, but I wasnt going to continue discussing it with her because I was very determined.

Then come yesterday, knowing that I have this thing against the japanese restuarant near workplace, she insisted on eating there. She told SS that they should just go ahead and ignore my dislike for the place, and that I will still go no matter what.

She underestimated my stubborness and when she called me to tell me they are eating there, I told her then I am not going. She then sounded hurt and said I should have told her earlier that I dont want to dine there.

But the point is, she knew about it, and joked about it, and then she pretends not to know about it. And she kept calling me while I was still in office doing work, and kept urging me to join them when I've mentioned that I want to finish what I was doing.

And I wondered, in the past 2 mths that she left the company, because the guy who was supposed to be taking over her is not quite competent, I had been taking charge of many matters myself and I had hence grew an edge to my patience too.

While she mentioned that I havent got the tiniest bit of patience to begin with, the main difference was that if it was in the past, I would loose patience and try to do the work myself, making mess in the process.

Now, after I am more familiar with work, if I lost my patience, say because the person supposed to be doing the job is not effecient enough, I will do the work myself, and I will give the ineffecient person hell later on for adding to my workload.

I cant imagine if she returns, and then she will keep bugging me as a colleague like what she is doing now as a friend, how am I going to cope with her. Actually I think, maybe it would be a good idea to tell the boss to hire a fresh grad and train from the beginning.

I would be quite willing to help to teach her if she shows willingness to learn.

I think CD is better as a friend then as a colleague maybe.

No comments: