Saturday, August 26, 2006

Young scientist cards.

I was talking to my younger brother about the plight of pluto, and I asked him whether he was still doing the young scientist cards in his primary school days. I remembered I had done some research about astronomy then but I'm no where near my brother in terms of such knowledge.

Wow, those blue cards. It had been more than 10 years since I last heard of those cards.

I googled it to realise that the cards are still being sold up to this day, and primary school maths and science teachers encourage students to buy them.

Yearbook.com.sg even attribute these cards to be something that reminds them of primary school.

"9) Young Scientist Cards: To attain the badges, we had to earn a certain number of "stars" by completing certain tasks. Most people, including me, always went for the Young Zoologist or Young Botanist badge, cos they were the easiest. The ambitious ones would go for the Young Mathematician badge."

I never realised there was 15 types of badges all together and looking at them, I immediately recognised that I have the 'Young Geologist' badge.

As a matter of fact, I remember I have 4 badges in all and I went to dig them out (thank god for the karung kuni collector trait in me that I still have all of these evidence, abeit a little yellow and a little rusty.





Actually I remembered I have a 'Young Botanist' badge too, but I dunno where it went to. I did the above 4 cards at one time, so I received the badges and certificates at one go too.

I am a 'Young Mathematician', 'Young Entomologist', 'Young Astronomer' and 'Young Geologist' all rolled into one ok! Mai siao siao.

No comments: