Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bourbon Coke

Was attending a friend's friend's charity event today at Harry's Bar at Millenia Walk, and not quite noticing myself, I'd ordered a bourbon coke.

I hadnt been drinking for a while already, because it brings back too many memories that I have no wish to remember. I wonder how come I cannot overwrite those memories with happier ones, especially when I'd found a new group of acquaintances who loves to drink.

Ordering bourbon coke had seemed so natural, and the taste still agreed with me. The hostess confirmed with me that I was indeed drinking BC before giving me an approving nod, as if to say that this is the only drink that serious drinker should indulge in.

She subsequently asked me if I am a good drinker, and I confessed that I hadnt touch the vile for ages. (Of course I mean I hadnt been drinking excessively. Time to time I still drink socially, but I will stop at one.) She explained that bourbon is a type of hard liquor and most people cannot take it.

Is it so? I queried. That seemed so weird. Because BC had always been the easiest to drown down my throat, and because I know bourbon is a type of housepour, it had always came across to me as a drink that is meant for the beginners.

Maybe that is why whenever I ordered this drink, guys look at me like I am some weirdo from another solar system, and when they actually drank it themselves, they nod their heads in affirmative, that I am indeed from another solar system.

But actually, I chose it because this is his choice of drink. And inevitably, I picked that up. If you ask me whether I like the drink or not, I have no answer for you. But certainly I know that my body doesnt resist it.

No comments: