Monday, December 04, 2006

Cant find the time

I was supposed to be talking to a colleague regarding a project last fri. I was finally free after 3 weeks of endless workload, but everyone else had began to be working their asses off already.

Luckily my bosses are sympathetic enough to recognise that I'd been eyebrow deep in work and struggling with all my OT, and so they are okay with me being more laid back this one or two days.

But of course I still had work to do, just that my workload is being lesser over this two days. But still, I am still juggling two or three projects at one time, and hence, like everyone else in the company, I dont have the luxury of attending to one project wholeheartedly.

Therefore, all of us are always finding time to get together for a discussion. And sometimes it proves fruitless because everyone rockets away to the next meeting.

I digressed. I was supposed to be having this discussion with a colleague last fri, and then attend the company's gathering at a karaoke pub. This discussion is for a project that finally got confirmed after 4 months of bouncing balls off the walls, and the client had many questions for me.

I tried to check with this colleague regarding some issues, but he was very busy. I understand the frustration of being bothered when you are super busy, hence I told him that once he has a little time, look for me.

Well he didnt, and I was thinking he might had forgotten, so I would visit his workstation every 2 hrs to see if he is any less busy. He was still very tied up and I could only remind him repeatedly that I really need to speak to him at his first available minute.

He went out for another meeting at around 5pm and the client was already chasing me for answers. I wrote out a list of questions that the clients had for me and waited for said colleague to return, which he estimated to be at 6 plus.

I meant to email the client the answers to her questions and I told her the email would come by around 6.30. I didnt think it was a problem at all because all I needed was some information and I could draft out the email very quickly.

But he never did return on time, and while he was still away, the boss mentioned that we shall go for dinner first before attending the company party. But because I wasnt interested in the dinner venue, I declined and wanted to stay back to finish the project before going to the company party.

When boss mentioned that the said colleague was joining them for dinner, I hadnt any complains. All I wanted is that he answer a few questions for me so that I can draft an email to the client, and work out some details in the project.

But he went for his dinner. Still, I have no problem with that, because well, it is his prerogative to have his meal, but all I wanted is some information so that I can get my work done.

I waited until 7, when I was already get tired of needing to wait, so I left the list of question for him, wrote a note for him to remind him that he had to send out the email the same day, and proceed to leave. While I was walking out, he returned and he wanted me to tell him what was it that I needed from him.

I told him everything is already on the piece of paper and he immediately showed his annoyance and said he rushed back from the dinner so that he can discuss the project with me. I told him I am tired, and I needed to get some shopping done before the shops are closed.

When I saw him again at the company party, he said that they were rushing him to leave the office, hence he didnt manage to get the email sent. Nevermind, he said, he will get it sent out on saturday.

Come today, I checked with him was the email sent. He admitted no. He said he will be doing it today and I told him nevermind, I shall get the information from another colleague and reply the email. But because I need to arrange a meeting with the client tomorrow, I need this colleague to let me know what time will he be free.

He told me he was busy and he cant confirm there and then, and told me he will let me know. I had to attend the company meeting and I told him I will speak to him later. While I was in the meeting, I saw him leave the office and hence I was not able to check with him after the meeting.

I then went out to attend another meeting and then returned to the office to realise he is not around. Bosses began to chase me for the status on the project and told me to call said colleague to see what time will he be free tomorrow so that we can arrange the meeting with the client.

I tried to explain that said colleague is busy, but boss insist I make the call. Then? Said colleague told me he is busy and will be back in a while's time.

He didnt, and the email was just hanging in the air, and the moment he came back, I wanted him to give me an answer and that we can have a discussion on the project. We only managed to speak for 10 minutes and he had to rush off to the next meeting. We managed to confirm the meeting time for tomorrow, but said colleague mentioned that we shouldnt send out this email until a later time.

I disagree, because it isnt nice to arrange a meeting without giving the client sufficient notice. But he insist on not sending out the email. He told me he will come back to discuss further with me when he was back, which he promised to be soon.

It was 4pm then.

I went back to do other stuff while waiting for him to return. He wasnt back by 6.30 and I called him. He said he will be back soon and then the line went dead. I called back but there was no reponse.

By then I was thoroughly pissed. It wasnt everyday that I can leave on time and for the one day that I can, I had to be delayed for someone who couldnt be contacted.

I packed my things and left. I left a note for him to remind him that the email had to be out today and explained to boss that I had an appointment and I cant be waiting around endlessly.

After I've left the office, I saw said colleague's sms and he said that he will be back in 10 minutes time. I replied to tell him I've left and that I know he is busy, but I really had been waiting for the few pieces of information for the whole day already.

I really arent angry with him, because I know he is very busy. When I was busy, I didnt manage to attend to everyone who needed a share of my time. But I really think a simple email taking 3 days is too much.

Simply too much.

I am not feeling well, and I am considering whether I should be taking mc tomorrow and let him die himself. Sigh. He is not the only one who is tired. While he had long hrs, at least he enjoyed one or two days of leaving on time every week. Really, let's not compare who had it worse, but just be considerate to one another.

No comments: