Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mr Unhelpful

For one of my school projects, after working on the preparation work and researches on and off for 2 months, I left the team.

And why did I do that? Because one of my classmates approached me for help, and this classmate had given me 5 hours of accounting tuition previously, and I was very grateful for his help.

With that, I gave up the work I'd already accomplished, and then joined this guy to do the project. There is another girl in the team, but she is a confirmed fail, and is therefore not putting in effort at all. So she is as good as non-existent.

I told this guy, now known as Mr Unhelpful, that I am willing to slog all over again for the project, if he would assure that he will put in 100% of effort. Of course he agreed upfront, and I did not count on him changing his mind along the way.

For this project, we first had to plan a questionnaire survey so that we can get people to participate, and subsequently tabulate data obtained.

Mr Unhelpful was eager to think of the questions for the questionnaire, and we worked till 2am over msn to get it completed within the day, after a few rounds of virtual whipping from me after he wanted to give up after working for a while.

When the questionnaire was endorsed by the lecturer (by my email request), we had to get respondents. Mr Unhelpful prefers to do it the easy way - faking the results - while I insisted I want to go to school and get real people to reply on the questionnaires. I told him that if he dont want to, fine, I'll do it myself!!

Then he gave in and said he will do it too. On the actual day, I must have gotten 80 of the respondents, while he 20, and I entered the 100 replies into the system, all by myself.

As of then, I was beginning to be pissed because it felt as though I am slowly doing more than half of the work.

After that day, we agreed that based on the results that were entered, we will each do some drafts and then meet the next day to discuss again, and then start to write the actual draft.

I did 8 pages. He did 1.

Nevermind. Nevermind. Nevermind.

The same night, we tidied up the work we already completed, and then I compiled them into a draft report, ready for the lecturer to review the next day. I had to print it in the office because he cannot, and while I had already been given warning against using office equipment for my own use, I sneaked the print job between my work and got it done.

The entire draft was 80% my work, and after he looked at the printed copy, he was embarrassed, and told me that he would put my bullet forms into paragraphs, and we will be able to submit already. I'd already done more than enough.

Well, great to hear, but I wasnt prepared to really not do anymore work on the project, but with his assurance, I thought even if the work is split down the middle, and I do half, I am willing to accept.

The next time I heard from him, it was after I repeatedly confirmed with him when is his report going to be completed, because I would still have to do grammatical checks. Over the phone, he told me that he need me to convert my bullet points into paragraphs because he 'doesnt really understand what I am trying to say'.

That is HILARIOUS because just days ago, he reviewed the draft with the lecturer and he KNEW how to continue to expand the report from where I left off.

Nevermind!

So I do my portions, and while doing it, I added on more sections to pad up the report so that it is more substantial. He? From what was agreed that he would do, he reduced a further 20%. I told him to leave the introduction and pre-report for me to do, because that is a crucial portion of every business report, and he insisted he wanted to do it.

Okie. We separately do our work, and then we combined it, and after looking at the introduction, I had to rewrite it due to missing facts and the repeated grammar errors.

I went through the entire report and corrected all his english, and then redo all the statistical graphs using excel to make the colour and fonts consistent, and then send the work to him for him to take a final look to see if he wants to add anymore points.

I made it clear that that is the last I am going to work on the project.

He replied, saying that maybe we should include some more graphs into the report and wanted me to add them in. I told him if he want to, he can do it himself, and I am ok with whatever he want to add.

He emailed back, requesting I do it for him (the graphs are within the sections he wrote) and said that he do not want to do it because then he will have to recheck all the numberings of the content page.

I told him. "Then dont add!!"

He didnt reply after that.

Bloody hell.. He was at home, while I was in the office doing OT and does that tells a little who is the busier person here?

I happened to be the only one doing OT that night, so I'd printed the work quickly and brought the copies home. Without him asking, I'd also brought the work to bind, and had also prepared a cd to bring to office tomorrow to burn the soft copies of the data into CD as requested by the lecturer.

And what is his contribution here? He sent me an sms "Have you already printed the work? Furthermore, have you burn the work into a CD?"

...
... ...
... ... ...


WHAT FUCKING FURTHERMORE IS HE TALKING ABOUT?? Is it my responsibility only? And isnt this supposed to be a groupwork? And had he already forgotten that I came over to help him with his project because he whine to me that he cannot finish it with the other girl not helping him? And didnt he realise I already did more than my portion of the work?




postnote:
he sent another sms : please reply asap or else we will not have cd to submit tomorrow.
knn. firstly, if he is so worried, he should ask me about it earlier than 15 hours before submission, secondly, if he is soooo worried, he can jolly well prepare a cd himself. thirdly, why is he thinking that i should do everything for him! KNN!

No comments: