Saturday, October 03, 2009

Effort Put In

In my career, the presentations I'd done are always dramatic and animated. I have to demonstrate to my clients that I am enthusiastic about my design and how fun the space will be. I will also be accompanied with my material sample boards and loose samples that I'll use to pass around the table to give my clients an interactive presentation session.

Therefore in my class presentation, when I only have a powerpoint to reply on, and it has to be formal and serious, with no toys to play with, imagine how lost I'd felt.

I hence decided that I will add illustrations to my powerpoint, and start conceptualising how to do it. I'd also researched on infographics so that I am able to create engaging data illustrations.

I'd spent roughly 15 hours doing it alone, and many more hours conceptualising, when I am showering, when I am traveling, when I am eating. When I realise that my classmates spent 20 minutes or so gathering info and doing a basic powerpoint presentation, I was wondering am I being too stupid.

For the presentation, I was worried that the equipments will fail and etc, and had did a lot of backup plans. I'd also rehearsed my presentation tens and tens of times, and I'd reviewed my powerpoint slides repeatedly.

During the presentation, I was the first speaker of the night, and as I present, I'd heard myself missing out portions after portions, and I was hardly making sense. I was also going at the speed of light, given how I have the habit of speaking 100words/minutes as a general habit. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

After the presentation, we had to sit in front of the class and listen to the critique session. The first comment was for me. Fann said she like my presentation slides as they were different from what others had done.

The next comment was for me too. Derek said my voice projection was good, and felt that I was in control of the presentation and sounded very confident. (Whahahah.. me is good actress.)

The lecturer asked if anyone had any comments (read bad comments so that I can improve) for me, and another classmate commented that she was totally engrossed in the attractive slides and didnt hear what I'd said. The lecturer said that the whole idea is that my presentation should have gain equal attention, instead of letting my slideshow take centre stage.

Well, I shall defend myself that I am not 100% confident of my presentation, and hence I need a good slideshow to back myself up.

Generally I had very good comments and reviews from my lecturer and coursemates, and I am super delighted.

=) =) =) =) =)


But one thing irks me. The class commented that my slides and the rest of my team mate's look very different, and how there is no consistency. The lecturer explained, saying that there is a consistent background picture (courtesy of me, as usual) and he is judging individual by the slides done, and so those who had put in less effort wont be able to ride on those who had put in more effort.

Then my team leader rose her hand and said that it is not fair to judge that way, because her portion were recommendations and therefore there were no visuals that could support, unlike my introduction.

But hallo. I was talking about purpose and background as I am presenting on the introduction. I thought for many days before knowing how I can present it with elements of interest. It is not very fair to say that because I manage to find an edge, it is because there was a ready edge for me to find. I had to conceptualise to come out with what I had done.

She also mentioned that she couldnt find nice images that fit with her text, and how my background picture had distracted her. It is like hallo! I put in the background picture after everyone had finished their slides, and after I had requested for someone to find a suitable background picture and everyone ignored me.

Now she felt that because I'd put in the picture, that's why she couldnt put in any visuals.

What the hell.

I didnt have to do much, just smile on the stage, while thinking lots of bad thoughts about her. LOL. But the class helped me bombarded her, saying that it was just a poor excuse. Other teams had recommendation sections, and they could come up with visuals or related quotations to make the slides interesting.

After my presentation, a classmate who did not comment on my slides earlier came up to me and told me that he liked my presentation and felt I had done a good job. He was so full of praises that I felt a renewed sense of confidence.

Other classmates had also congratulated me on my presentation and I feel so relieved because my effort for this presentation I'd put in. My lecturer gave me an encouraging nod and I can tell that I am going to score pretty good.

I'm happy I'm happy I'm happy. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

No comments: