Saturday, January 10, 2009

The responsibility towards clients

One week ago when I found out that I need to be deployed to another office to do ACAD, I calculated the dates and voice out to Mr Derail that the best date for me to go over, would be on 14 Jan.

I had been working on another project which requires all the tender drawings to be completed by 14 Jan, and because the clients and users are quite fickle minded, I cannot even look forward to complete the drawings way before the deadline.

Mr Derail refused, and insisted I go over no later than 12 Jan. I told him Senior is on leave that day, and maybe I should go over on 13 Jan, one day later than what he wanted.

NO NO NO NO NO! He refused.


Nabei lor, so I agreed. Then fast forward to yesterday, the fussy-clients-and-users requested a meeting at 4pm to go through the drawings. The user asked me if I would attend the meeting next wk, and I apologised, saying I couldn't because I would be working on another project and Senior would take over the project, from end of yesterday onwards.

The client is unhappy, and asked me who will do the drawings then? I explained that Senior will be doing it of course, and the client wanted the drawings to be completed by end of Monday, 12 Jan.

12 Jan? Senior is on leave, and I am doing another project, who do the drawings? I paused and requested with client that Senior will submit the drawings on 13 Jan instead. After all the negotiation and etc, the meeting ended and I returned to my office in taxi.

On my way back, Mr Derail called and screamed at me, asking me why the drawings cannot be completed the same day and submitted immediately. That was 6pm, on a Friday, for goodness sake, and I wanted to go out.

I explained to him but he refused to listen, and kept screaming at me for the whole time.

When I reached back to the office, Mr Boss phoned me and asked me if I know what wrongdoing had I commited.

He said that I shouldn't had told the client that I would not be able to attend the meetings from next week onwards, and that Senior is on leave next Monday.

What the hell? This is basic courtesy to the client to let them know who is taking over the projects if I would be deployed somewhere else, or on leave, or is quitting. And in advance! If not what help does it do?

Imagine how the client would feel if they called next week and I have to say that I cannot come by today because I am doing another project? And the client would feel that I gave up working on their project even though I am totally helpless towards where I would be deployed to, and what projects I am assigned to.

I have a responsibility to my clients, and also to my reputation. But the bosses doesnt care. To them, the lesser the clients know, the better. But clients are not stupid leh! They are bound to question when I disappear on the job, and I dowan to be deem as the irresponsible one.

No comments: